[Cfp-interest] printf, NaN, infinity

Mike Cowlishaw mfc at speleotrove.com
Mon Nov 26 09:40:36 PST 2018

For what it's worth, decNumber uses a quite simple NAN -> chars conversion
that is bounded; being essentially

  [signbit] ['s'] NaN [payload]

where signbit is '-' if the sign bit is 1, 's' is added for signalling NaN,
and payload is the payload as an integer (omitted if the payload is 0).

e.g.:

   NaN
   NaN101
  -Nan12345
   sNaN
   sNaN12

All simply parsed, etc -- many examples in my testcases.  Perhaps something
similar would work for binary NaNs?

Mike