[Cfp-interest] AI to review spec for raising the inexact exception

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 14 11:14:07 PDT 2018

>     Jim: Review specification for raising the inexact exception in the TS's.

C + P1 has

F.10
…
[4a] The functions bound to operations in IEC 60559 (F.3) are fully specified by IEC 60559, including rounding behaviors and floating-point exceptions.

P4 has

After F.3#22, add:

[23] The C functions in the following table provide operations recommended by IEC 60559 and similar operations. Correct rounding, which IEC 60559 specifies for its operations (except for the reduction operations), is not required for the C functions in the table. See also 7.31.6a.

I don’t see any place where we say that the usual IEC 60559 requirement for “inexact” doesn’t apply. We could change the above to

After F.3#22, add:

[23] The C functions in the following table provide operations recommended by IEC 60559. Correct rounding, which IEC 60559 specifies for its operations (except for the reduction operations), is not required for the C functions. See also 7.31.6a. The reduction functions (7.12.13b) raise the “inexact” floating-point exception in conjunction with overflow and underflow; otherwise, whether they raise the “inexact” floating-point exception is unspecified. The other functions in the table should raise the” inexact” floating-point exception if the result is exact, and should not raise the” inexact” floating-point exception if the result is not exact.