[Cfp-interest] WG14 IEEE 754-C binding meeting minutes 2017/08/29

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 29 10:54:15 PDT 2017

  Attendees: Rajan, Jim, David H, Mike, Fred

  New agenda items:
    Discussion about upcoming WG14 meeting.

  Last meeting action items:
    Jim: Send the note (2017/06/28) drafted by Jim to WG14 for DR9 %a
precision concerns. - Done. Sent to WG14 on 2017/08/14.
    Jim: Re DR501: Make a new proposal for Part 3 for new macros
(format-specific DECIMAL_DIG like macros). - Done. Sent on 2017/08/16.
    Jim: Check implications for tgmath with regards to the augmented
precision functions. - Done. Sent on 2017/08/18.
    Jim: Augmented precision: Add in text to state that the functions
force a particular rounding (ignoring static or dynamic rounding modes and
implementation supported rounding modes). - Done. Sent on 2017/08/21.
    Jim: min-max: Add in a statement about the preferred exponent. - Done.
Sent on 2017/08/17.
    Jim: min-max: Add a reference to the corresponding Annex F section for
NaN treatment in the fmaximum/fminimum/fmaximum_mag/fminimum_mag
functions. - Done. Sent on 2017/08/17.
    Jim: min-max: {fmaximum/fminimum/fmaximum_mag/fminimum_mag}_num
functions: They determine the number -> they return the number. - Done
(rejected change). Sent on 2017/08/17.
    All: min-max: Consider what to do for fmin/fmax functions in the C
standard. - Done. In agenda.
    Fred: Summarize what goes wrong for FLT_EVAL_METHOD for the things
Fred has tested. - Done. Sent on 2017/07/14.

  New action items:
    Rajan: Check with David Keaton to see if SD3 will be considered in the
next WG14 meeting and if so, can the floating point proposals (other than
part 1 and 2) be postponed unless we are prepared for them.
    Jim: List the proposals we have in flight with WG14 and what we need
to do with them (if anything).
    Jim: Create a new DR against part 3 for the non-arithmetic interchange
formats to create format_DECIMAL_DIG type macros.
    Jim: Augmented add tgmath: Change "invokes a real function" to
"invokes a function returning a real type".
    Jim: Augmented add: Create a proposal for the new augmented precision
functions including tgmath for IEEE 2018 C binding.
    Jim: Create a note to say the existing fmin/fmax functions may not
correspond to the new IEEE 754:2018 f{min/max}* functions in TS Part 1 as
part of the 2018 binding update.

  Next Meetings:
    Tuesday September 26th, 2017, 12:00 EDT, 9:00 PST
    Same teleconference number.

    IEEE 754 revision:
      Some open issues still:
        Payload functions wanted by some people. Late proposal.
        Another set of augmented functions that round to nearest wanted by
some people. Not suitable for reproducible summation. Did not seem to be
too much support. For performance on some platforms.

    C++ liaison:
      No update.

    C2x proposals:
      Nothing new to create.
      *Rajan: Check with David Keaton to see if SD3 will be considered in
the next WG14 meeting and if so, can the floating point proposals (other
than part 1 and 2) be postponed unless we are prepared for them.
      *Jim: List the proposals we have in flight with WG14.

    DRs:
      DR501 (
http://wiki.edg.com/pub/CFP/WebHome/DR_for_macros_for_non-arith_formats-20170816.pdf?twiki_redirect_cache=f9e2368fc8345a340634aff44271c2ab
):
        Add to the existing set of DECIMAL_DIG macros to apply to the new
formats.
        We thought DECIMAL_DIG covered this, but it doesn't. With
obsolescent of DECIMAL_DIG, this is needed to cover that hole.
        *Create a new DR against part 3 for the non-arithmetic interchange
formats to create format_DECIMAL_DIG type macros.

    Binding for IEEE 754-2018:
      Augmented add (
http://wiki.edg.com/pub/CFP/WebHome/augop_spec-20170817.pdf):
        Change looks good.
        Email on 2017/08/18: tgmath implications:
          The second addition seems to be worded weirdly since the wording
for the function returning a structure is talking about the return type
instead of the type of the function directly.
          *Change "invokes a real function" to "invokes a function
returning a real type".
      min/max (
http://wiki.edg.com/pub/CFP/WebHome/min-max_spec-20170821.pdf):
        Change 1 (AI): Good.
        Change 2 (missing text): Good.
        Change 3 (forward references): Good.
        Change 4 (preferred quantum exponents): Good.
        Determine -> Return: C Standard uses "determine" and doesn't use
"return".
          Result: Keep it as "determine".
        fmin/fmax that are in the existing C standard: May need to remove
this from part 1 via a DR.
          David H: If no one has implemented f{min/max}_mag, maybe just
get rid of them.
          Can obsolesce fmin/fmax and say they are equivalent to
f{min/max}_num*. Part 1 right now makes them not equivalent. Need to
change part 1 to make it work.
          Annex F would need to change to handle SNaN's with these.
          The new functions would have to be non-conditional features to
replace the existing.
          Can alternatively put in a note to the relationship to the new
functions and keep the existing ones.
          David: Can also say the existing fmin/fmax don't necessarily
correspond to any of these new functions and should only affect SNaNs.
Existing functions generally work for most people since they don't have
NaNs. No sense in changing them.
          *Jim: Write a note to say the existing fmin/fmax functions may
not correspond to the new IEEE 754:2018 f{min/max}* functions.
      Nothing else expected to add before ratification or balloting.

      Seems a small enough change to get another ~10 years conformance if
we make these changes to bind to IEEE-754:2018.

    Other:
      FLT_EVAL_METHOD (Willem's email):
        Basic issue is problem with widening floating point constants even
if explicitly suffixed.
        Should we bring attention to this possible pitfall? Or should we
change wide evaluation?
        Seems to have been implemented by at least some compilers as per
Fred's 2017/07/14 email.
        Fred's recent response seems to indicate this case is covered.
        Jim: The new words in DR500 seem to not make this the case.
        Perhaps add a new statement to cover this or make it more clear?
      floating vs floating-point:
        We have enough things for WG14 to look at without bringing this up
unless someone wants to tackle it.
      Constant rounding modes and tgmath (Email from Jim on 2017/08/29):
        Agree with creating a DR against Part 1 to add in the _Roundwise
aspect.