[Cfp-interest] Thanks to the CFP extensions group for all their hard work

David Hough 754R work 754r at ucbtest.org
Mon Mar 21 16:23:36 PDT 2016

The CFP group is approaching its last milestone in developing a C
language binding for IEEE 754-2008: the first four parts of ISO/IEC TS
18661 already have been published and the fifth and final part has been
drafted in preparation for ballot.

As chair of the 754 revision activity, I'd like to take this occasion,
to express my appreciation for CFP's labors over the years, which
necessarily involved discovering omissions and inconsistencies in the
754-2008 standard as they developed proposed C bindings for it.    The
754 revision activity is intended to address just such omissions and
inconsistencies, but in a language-independent context.     We have
found the CFP experience invaluable for identifying problems and
solutions that we can use as a basis for our 754 work.  Subexceptions
and the pow functions are just the most recent examples that come to
mind.     The years of CFP effort have significantly expedited the 754
work.