[Cfp-interest] (SC22WG14.14284) Is return of same type convertFormat or copy?

Joseph Myers joseph at codesourcery.com
Tue Jun 21 14:30:06 PDT 2016

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016, Jim Thomas wrote:

> Would it be sufficient to append a sentence to F.3#3 (specified in Part
> 1) to say
>
> “If the return expression of a return statement is evaluated to the
> floating-point format of the return type, it is implementation-defined
> whether a convertFormat operation is applied to the result of the return
> expression.”

That probably suffices.  Although I have a certain unease about things in
Annex F that appear to contradict rather than simply to refine the
semantics of the main standard; there's an argument for amending 6.8.6.4#3
to permit conversions to the same type (with then Annex F specifying the
choice made in the case of wider evaluation formats, F.6).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph at codesourcery.com