[Cfp-interest] WG14 IEEE 754-C binding meeting minutes 2016/02/16

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 16 11:01:48 PST 2016

2016/02/16, 12:00 EST:
  Attendees: Rajan, Jim, Mike, Ian, Marius, David

  New agenda items:
    None.

  Last meeting action items:
    Ian: Talk to Lawrence Crowl regarding proposing this IEEE-754: 2008
binding to C++ as well. - In process.
      No response from Lawrence to an email sent by Ian.
      Second email sent out.
    Ian: Update and check the items listed and flagged under
Feature_List_Part_1. - Not done.
    All: Focused Review of part 5 once the updated draft comes out. - Not
done.
      Missing one review.
    Jim: Part 5: Page 2: Review the change to see if clarification is
needed regarding "after" referring to time or source code. - Done.
    Jim: Part 5: Page 18: Line 45: Reword to make it clearer. - Done.
    Jim: Part 5: Page 20, 21: Change the '#define n' to '#define
NUMBER_OF_ELEMENTS'. - Done (different macro name: LEN).
    Jim: Part 5: Page 21: Change the "for (i=0;" to "for (int i=0;" -
Done.
    Jim: Get the changebar'd and dated version of previous TS's on the
wiki to review. - Done.

  New action items:
    Jim: Part 5: p12: Line 14: Change to "supports reproducible results
for decimal floating types." or something similar.
    Jim: Part 5: Page 12, line 14; Page 13, line 3: Check the wording here
to see if the standard does this (enumerate values and then later says it
can have other values).
    Jim: Part 5: Page 5 line 9: occurrences -> occurrence
    Jim: Part 5: Page 10: Line 25: semantic type*s* -> semantic type. May
occur in other places in the document (Ex. Page 9, Line 22; Page 19, Line
23)
    Jim: Part 1: Page 51: Line 3: Add a footnote to the 'l suffix' stating
there are no functions with the 'f' suffix.
    Rajan: Send the DR template to Jim for parts 1-4 issues to get them
ready in time for the WG14 meeting.

  Next Meeting:
    *Monday March 15th, 2016, 12:00 EST, 9:00 PDT
    Same teleconference number.

    WG14 mailing is March 14th, 2016. Meeting is April 11-15th, 2016 at
BSI, London, England.

    IEEE 754 revision:
      Features being discussed for a future revision, not this one.

    Arith23:
      Some changes being discussed for 754. Perhaps leave it for later?

    Other:
      C Standard format change should be done soon if not already done.

    Part 5: Various emails, documents (
http://wiki.edg.com/twiki/pub/CFP/WebHome/cfp5-20160215.pdf):
      All changes OK.
      *ToDo: Jim: Part 5: p12: Line 14: Change to "supports reproducible
results for decimal floating types." or something similar.
        Jim: Perhaps reword that part and later in that paragraph in
general.

      Ian's comments (note sent today):
        Based off an older draft. Ex. first change already handled.
        Page 10: Already handled.
        Page 11-1: Already handled.
        Page 11-2: Already handled.
        Page 12-1: *ToDo: Jim: Page 12, line 14; Page 13, line 3: Check
the wording here to see if the standard does this (enumerate values and
then later says it can have other values).
        Page 12-2: *ToDo: Jim: Page 5 line 9: occurrences -> occurrence
        Page 13-2: Seems clear with context (the sentence before).
        Page 13-4: Already handled.
        Page 13-5: Already handled.
        Page 18: *ToDo: Jim: Page 10: Line 25: semantic type*s* ->
semantic type. May occur in other places in the document (Ex. Page 9, Line
22; Page 19, Line 23)

      David's review to go still.

      We did not allow unspecified sub-exceptions to occur. The 754
committee said it is not allowed. Matches our current draft and 754 is
adding this as well.

    Part 1 (cfp1-20160202.pdf):
      Fred's Part 1 questions (Jim's response sent on 2016/01/13):
        Point 1: Should we add a footnote saying there are no functions
with the 'f' suffix?
          *ToDo: Jim: Part 1: Page 51: Line 3: Add a footnote to the 'l
suffix' stating there are no functions with the 'f' suffix.
        Point 2: No harm. Other implementations could have other types so
the macros could be useful (Ex. HP's w/q suffixes).

      Page 18, line 19: OK.
      Page 38, line 24: OK.
      Page 40, line 30: OK.
      Page 48, line 24: OK.

      Note that this part was reformatted by ISO (other parts were not).
      Blaine suggested we create DR's for these changes. Ex. All the
simple typo's in one, adding more text should be separate DR's.
      *ToDo: Rajan: Send the DR template to Jim for these issues to get it
ready in time for the WG14 meeting.

    Part 2 (cfp2-20160202):
      Title page: ISO replaces the title page so no issue here, but we
will fix it for ourselves.
      Page viii: OK.
      Page 34: format -> type: OK.
      Page 50: May not be an editorial change (clarification).

    Part 3 (cfp3-20160202):
      Title page: ISO replaces the title page so no issue here, but we
will fix it for ourselves.
      Page 32: Typo, but not an editorial change. Should be it's own DR
even though it is an obvious error.
      Page 39: OK.

    Part 4 (cfp4-20160202):
      Title page: ISO replaces the title page so no issue here, but we
will fix it for ourselves.

    Will post updated versions of these on the wiki.

  What should be proposed for the C standard:
    Should we propose most of part 1?
    Ian: Part 3 is useful so we should push for that as well.
      Intel and GCC have __float128 (possibly not by the compiler for
Intel). AMD and GCC have 16-bit float (half precision). Pushes the need
for standardization.

Regards,

Rajan Bhakta
z/OS XL C/C++ Compiler Technical Architect
ISO C Standards Representative for Canada
C Compiler Development
Contact: rbhakta at us.ibm.com, Rajan Bhakta/Houston/IBM