[Cfp-interest] exceptional macro

Mike Cowlishaw mfc at speleotrove.com
Wed May 14 07:35:48 PDT 2014

> Part of the semantics of FP_EXCEPTIONAL is that it preserves
> the previous state of the flags and traps for exceptions that
> are mentioned, since these were anticipated, but not flags
> and traps for exceptions that were not mentioned, since these
> were not.

I'm a little uncomfortable with that because there may be new exceptions added
in the future (or implementation-specific, such as the 'Clamped' flag in
decNumber).  Having to specify all 'expected' exceptions could be difficult.

> What semantics would you propose for FP_EXCEPTIONS ?

My initial/gut feeling would be to preserve/restore all.  i.e., state after the
call is identical to that before the call.  That way the call is simply a test,
with no side-effects.

Mike

-----