[Cfp-interest] Semester at Sea

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Fri Jun 27 09:54:16 PDT 2014

A couple of people wanted more details, so here it is.

Semester at Sea is mostly for college and university students (from
around the world, but mainly USA students) to take a semester of four
classes as they study abroad.  They have Fall and Spring semesters of
around 112 days each on a ship as it travels to various countries.  We
took the Spring 2014 voyage, which was their 50th year celebration.
We had 555 students on our trip.

However, they allow people 40 and older to travel as normal
passengers.  They are allowed to sit in on classes (which we did), but
not required to do so.  They are allowed to attend the evening
lectures (which we did), but not required to.  They can join in on the
ship organized shore excursions (which we did), but are not required
to.  They can do shore travel on their own (which we did).  We had 60
older travelers on our trip.

http://www.semesteratsea.org/voyages/

We went in the cheapest cabins at $10,000 per person for 112 days, or
about $90 / day (which includes room, food, classes, internet).

Kathy has posted her cell phone photos and Fred's blog / journal to
the web at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y787my9asvci43a/AADZBAKKFIqn7_aLC7gfV6Bga

The four digits in each blog /journal file name is MMDD = Month, Day
What each journal part is about:

sem0109.txt - San Diego, Ensenada, ocean
sem0116.txt - Hilo, Hawaii
sem0123.txt - ocean
sem0129.txt - Japan
sem0206.txt - China
sem0212.txt - Viet Nam
sem0220.txt - Singapore
sem0224.txt - Burma or Myanmar
sem0305.txt - India
sem0315.txt - Mauritius Island
sem0322.txt - South Africa, part 1
sem0331.txt - South Africa, part 2
sem0410.txt - Ghana
sem0415.txt - Morocco
sem0506.txt - Getting home

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (775) 287-5904      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.