[Cfp-interest] exploring __attribute__

David Hough CFP pcfp at oakapple.net
Mon Jul 28 14:01:58 PDT 2014

> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1422.pdf

It looks like some of the objection was to having a portable syntax for
non-portable semantics.      The things that we propose would either be
semantics mandatory for all implementations (alt exception handling)
or pragma-like permissions for optimizations and expression evaluations.

Would we really want to have real keywords in the language for all
the things we'd want to do?      That seems to be a heavy burden unless
the scope is restricted to a context like pragma or attribute.

In the mandatory, as opposed to permission, category, there are

on exception goto

on exception substitute

on underflow abrupt

that we really need to support somehow.     #pragma, __attribute__,
and try/catch already seem to have an unhappy history with the C
Committee.