[Cfp-interest] impact of try/catch on C++

David Hough CFP pcfp at oakapple.net
Fri Jul 25 14:07:54 PDT 2014

Marius pointed me to a current draft of C++, n3797, which I perused for
reference to try and catch.

Of course there are many references in section

 15 Exception Handling

as one would expect, and a few references in

 18.8 Exception Handling (library support)

And of course there are references in

 1.3.14 Terms and Definitions (parameter)
 2.12 Keywords
 A Grammar Summary
 B Implementations quantities (handlers per try block)
 Indices

The other references are these:

3.3.3 Block scope
3.4 Name lookup
5.2.2 Postfix expressions
6 Statements  (try-block)

These appear to be C++ only - no analog in C
 7.1.5 constexpr specifier
 8.4 Function definitions (function-try-block)
 12.8 Copying and moving class objects: copy elision

All in all, the collateral weight to the standard specification beyond
the Exception Handling chapter is not large.
Even section 15 is only 12 pages long (out of 1366 total).