[Cfp-interest] WG14 IEEE 754-C binding meeting minutes

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at ca.ibm.com
Thu Jun 13 10:45:53 PDT 2013

  Attendees: Jim, Fred, David, Mike, Marius, Rajan, Ian

  Agenda:
    New items requested:
      Want to discuss endianess as well
      Bool and unary +

  Old action items:
    AI: Jim to update Part 1 changes in Part 2 - Done
    AI: Send email regarding generic/traditional - Done. Lot of discussion
to go over.
    AI: Mike to respond to Jim's reset email - Done

  New action items:
    Mike: Check what 754 says and provide a recommendation for INF, (S)NAN
for quantum
    Jim: Add the quantum function after renaming quantexp to iquantexp.
Jim to try wording this suggestion
    Jim: Redo the document (applies to part 2 and 3) with the unsigned
char arrays for encodings, implementation defined bit/byte mappings, each
array element will have 8 bits of the encoding regardless of the array
element size.
    All: Once the draft update to n1722 is sent, this is the review
section assignments:
        Intro: David
        Clauses 1-5 + Bibliography: Fred
        Clauses 6, 7: Marius
        Clauses 8, 9: Ian, Mike
        Clauses 10, 11: Ian
        Clauses 12, 12.1, 12.2: Fred
        Clauses 12.3: David
        Clauses 12.4, 12.4.1, 12.4.2: Mike, Marius, Jim
        Clauses 12.5-12.7: Fred
        Clauses 12.8: Jim

  Next meeting: June 11th, 2013, 12:00 EST, 9:00 PDT

  Part 1 is up for ballot. August 16th expiry.
  We (WG14) cannot discuss the document while it is out for ballot and
this is a WG14 meeting.

  Part 2:
    Naming for float, double, long double:
      WG14 was looking at "standard" as the term for them (see May 31st
email).
      Could also follow the 754 basic types name
      That has a different meaning in C
      Is "mandatory" good?
      Anything other than "standard" would likely cause problems
      Other ones are "conditionally mandatory/required"
      "standard" may imply 754 types
      We agree to keep "standard" and move forward
    Should we call it "standard real floating types" or just call it
"standard floating types"?
      We should keep "standard floating types"
      This and "decimal floating types" will collectively give the "real
floating types" which fits into the C standard
    IEC 60559 floating types naming scheme
      Helps with part 3 as well. Should we do this?
      Mike: Adding another layer of complexity without adding benefit
unless we add binary types as well
      We will go with the first method and not add the IEC 60559 to the
type name classification
    Quantum function:
      We should have named the quantexp to iquantexp and used quantexp for
the floating point version.
      An alternative is to create a quantum function (using ilogb, you can
get the quantexp function equivalent).
      Suggestion from Mike: Add the quantum function after renaming
quantexp to iquantexp.
      *AI* Jim to try wording the suggestion from Mike above.
      What should the quantum function do for the sign? Either always
positive or the sign of the input?
        Do what is in 754.
        Quantum of INF? INF
        *AI* Mike to check what 754 says and provide a recommendation for
INF, (S)NAN
    For part 2, we can split up the document in parts and have people
focus on a particular part for review.
      From n1722 (also in the wiki) *AI* once the draft is sent, this is
the review section assignments:
        Intro: David
        Clauses 1-5 + Bibliography: Fred
        Clauses 6, 7: Marius
        Clauses 8, 9: Ian, Mike
        Clauses 10, 11: Ian
        Clauses 12, 12.1, 12.2: Fred
        Clauses 12.3: David
        Clauses 12.4, 12.4.1, 12.4.2: Mike, Marius, Jim
        Clauses 12.5-12.7: Fred
        Clauses 12.8: Jim
      We need a draft for WG14 by late July, so we need to finish the
review in the first week of July.

  Part 3:
    The non-arithmetic types issue:
      Recent correspondence indicates unsigned char arrays for the
encodings.
      Group agrees on the general idea.
      Note on June 10th:
        Minor changes: const addition to function signitures and return
type of int instead of void for the strfrom functions to match the
existing strfrom functions for the other types we added
        Endianness: 754 thought it was outside the scope to define it for
floats and not ints
          Ian: There are middle cases as well (some big some little
between words and in a word for example)
          Mike: We should avoid endianness in general
          Niether 754 nor C deal with endianess, so we should not either
        Mike: uint8_t should be used instead of unsigned char
        Jim: Not a required type by an implementation
        We need to make sure we have or acknowledge 8 bit bytes
        Jim: We could require support for uint8_t
        Fred: Posix requires 8 bit bytes
        No sentiment to require 8 bit bytes
        Fred: We should make the mapping between bits and bytes
implementation defined
        *AI* Jim to redo the document (applies to part 2 and 3) with the
unsigned char arrays for encodings, implementation defined bit/byte
mappings, each array element will have 8 bits of the encoding regardless
of the array element size.
      Note that these changes need to go into part 2 as well.

Regards,

Rajan Bhakta
z/OS XL C/C++ Compiler Technical Architect
ISO C Standards Representative for Canada
C Compiler Development
Contact: rbhakta at ca.ibm.com, Rajan Bhakta/Toronto/IBM
Telephone: (905) 413-3995