[Cfp-interest] Comments on Introductory parts of Part 1 (and others?)

Willem Wakker willemw at ace.nl
Tue Feb 26 02:14:23 PST 2013

Jim,

The conformance section of a IS/TS should specify how a conforming
implementation can conform (and nothing more); usually/often this
is expressed as '... shall conform to the requirements specified in
clauses 5-17 of this Technical Specification' or something similar.
So the section is used to identify the requirements and how to
treat them.

The 'Suggested change to C11' that is currently in section 2 is just
one of the requirements and has nothing to do with the overall
conformance (which is the purpose of section 2); it is there only
because it happens to modify the conformance section (section 2)
of the C standard.

So, the overall conformance text and the specific 'Suggested change'
are totally different things and do not belong in the same section
of the TS.

- Willem