[Cfp-interest] Comments on current documents

Mike Cowlishaw mfc at acm.org
Fri Feb 15 01:44:49 PST 2013

Notes from 2013.02.14 telecon, as promised.   These are all
minor/editorial and refer to the draft documents:

  cfp1-20121210.pdf
  cfp2-20121215.pdf
  cfp3-20130212.pdf

a)  There are some possible inconsistencies in the form of the
    Introductions of the three documents:

      cfp1 mentions all five parts under 'Purpose',
      cfp2 mentions only parts 1 & 2, under 'The formats', and
      cfp3 mentions only parts 1 & 2, under 'C Support...'.

b) in cfp2, page vi line 19, has:

     "C11 specifies floating-point arithmetic using a two-layer
     organization. The first layer provides..."

   but I then got a bit lost as I was expecting the second layer to
   be mentioned/described, but it never was?

c) some nits in cfp3 Introduction:

   Page 1 line 10: ending period missing

   line 17: "Interchange format may or may not be supported as
     arithmetic." is ill-formed (and I'm not quite sure what the
     intent is)

   line 19: "arithmetic formats where computation may be done" sounds
     a bit awkward; perhaps: "arithmetic formats which can be used
     for computation"

   line 38: "C language provides..." -> "The C language provides..."?
     (Or should it be "The C language specification provides..."?

   line 38: refers to 'three "generic" floating formats" -- should
     line 29 also refer to the 128 bit format (and use the word
     'generic')?

    Page 2 line 11 'proposed' -> 'specifies'?

Mike