[Cfp-interest] generic floating types in Part 2 now have radix 2

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 16 16:38:35 PDT 2012

We decided to make Part 1 conformance a requirement for Part 2 conformance. But we didn't scrub Part 2 to account for this change. I'd propose the following changes.

6, Note: Change:

Note: C does not specify a radix for float, double, and long double. An implementation can choose the representation of float, double, and long double to be the same as the decimal floating types. In any case, the decimal floating types are distinct from float, double, and long double regardless of the representation.

to:

Note: C does not specify a radix for the generic floating types float, double, and long double. However, conformance to Part 2 of this Technical Specification requires conformance to Part 1, which implies that the radix is 2 for the generic floating types.

7.6.3.4[3]: Change:

[3] If FLT_RADIX is not 10, the rounding direction altered by the fesetround function is independent of the rounding direction altered by the fe_dec_setround function; otherwise if FLT_RADIX is 10, whether the fesetround and fe_dec_setround functions alter the rounding direction of both generic floating type and decimal floating type operations is implementation defined.

to:

[3] The rounding direction altered by the fesetround function (for generic floating-point operations) is independent of the rounding direction altered by the fe_dec_setround function.

Please let me know ASAP if you see any problem with these changes.

-Jim