[Cfp-interest] F10 cleanup

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at ca.ibm.com
Fri Nov 9 03:40:40 PST 2012

I agree with adding in the sqrt and remainder details.

Regards,

Rajan Bhakta
z/OS XL C/C++ Compiler Technical Architect
ISO C Standards Representative for Canada
C Compiler Development
Contact: rbhakta at ca.ibm.com, Rajan Bhakta/Toronto/IBM
Telephone: (905) 413-3995

From:
"Fred J. Tydeman" <tydeman at tybor.com>
To:
"CFP" <cfp-interest at ucbtest.org>,
Date:
11/08/2012 08:53 PM
Re: [Cfp-interest] F10 cleanup
Sent by:
cfp-interest-bounces at oakapple.net

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 16:24:14 -0800 (PST) Fred J. Tydeman wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 15:00:49 -0800 Jim Thomas wrote:
>>
>>We could achieve consistency by adding the details to the sqrt and
remainder
>sections in Annex F. What do you think?
>>

>I am in favor of adding the details of sqrt and remainder to Annex F.

Add details for two functions seems like less work that removing details
for many functions.

Having the details in Annex F makes it easier for those reading the
C standard than having to also read IEEE-754 (which, I assume, many C
implementors do not have).  Also, the reader needs to go from the
C name (via our mapping table) to the IEEE-754 name.  IEEE-754 has
some required and some recommended operations, so things in IEEE-754
are not all in one place.

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (775) 287-5904      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.