[Cfp-interest] F10 cleanup

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 7 12:12:49 PST 2012

I'm preparing Part 1 for an attachment to the request to make our TS an official Work Item for WG 14. The work is mostly formatting, but I'm finding a few other things that need fixing. Please give me a quick response on this proposed rewording in F.10:

[4a] The functions bound to operations in IEC 60559 (see Table 1) are fully specified by IEC 60559, including rounding behaviors and floating-point exceptions.

[5] The ‘‘invalid’’ and ‘‘divide-by-zero’’ floating-point exceptions are raised as specified in IEC 60559 or in subsequent subclauses of this annex.

…

[8] Whether or when library functions not bound to operations in IEC 60559 raise the ‘‘inexact’’ floating-point exception is unspecified, unless explicitly specified otherwise.

[9] Whether or when library functions not bound to operations in IEC 60559 raise an undeserved ‘‘underflow’’ floating-point exception is unspecified.372) Otherwise, as implied by F.8.6, these functions do not raise spurious floating-point exceptions (detectable by the user), other than the ‘‘inexact’’ floating-point exception.

[10] Whether the functions not bound to operations in IEC 60559 honor the rounding direction mode is implementation-defined, unless explicitly specified otherwise.

A general problem here is we haven't made all the changes needed to account for the fact that IEC 60559 now fully specifies more functions. I think we'll want to make some more changes in Annex F to clean this up, but I don't have a complete proposal yet.

-Jim