[Cfp-interest] Part 1: nextup(DBL_MAX)

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Thu May 17 17:08:36 PDT 2012

On Thu, 17 May 2012 16:43:51 -0700 Jim Thomas wrote:

>> Is
>>  nextup(DBL_MAX)
>> allowed to be a "range error"?
>>
>> Or, do we need to add words along the lines of:
>>  A range error shall not occur for any argument.
>
>What cases are you thinking of? I don't see why a range error would be needed.

nextafter(DBL_MAX,INFINITY) is a range error (main text)
and an "overflow" exception (Annex F).

nextup(DBL_MAX) might be treated the same (unless we
prohibit errors / exceptions).

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (775) 358-9748      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.