[Cfp-interest] Comments on TS part 2

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at ca.ibm.com
Wed Jul 18 07:52:37 PDT 2012

Not listing the comments I already mentioned last meeting and ones that
were in common with Fred's note (if I still have dup's, I apologize).

Page numbers refer to the page numbers listed in the document (the pdf),
not the pdf viewer page numbers.

1) Page 4: [4]: (and IEC 60559) is redundant.
are indistinguishable in the arithmetic. -> are indistinguishable in
arithmetic operations.

2) Page 5: [6]: DEC*_MIN_EXP has values one smaller (magnitude) than ones
given in DEC*_MIN and DEC*_SUBNORMAL_MIN

3) Page 7: 8.3 (second one): 6.3.1.8#1 change: Can't generic floating
types be the decimal floating point types (ignoring part 1 or making part
1 not use the float/double/long double types). If so, then this part
doesn't make sense. Instead say "shall not be generic floating type if it
is not a decimal floating type, ..."

4) Page 7: Drop the d and D suffixes as IBM already has a decimal type
that uses those suffixes which are incompatible with this.

5) Page 8: [4] As above (comment 4), remove the d and D.

6) Page 9: Given the deprecation of FLOAT_CONST_DECIMAL64, why not remove
it in this TS to avoid the header file issue.
  If not, we'll need some other suffix like 'b'.

7) Page 9-10: See comment 3 re generic = decimal type. Applies to later
cases.

8) Suggestion: Should we try to future proof the TS by making the
__STDC_WANT_DEC_FP macro a date macro? This allows future functions to be
added without breaking code that can check for it.

9) Page 12: [8a] We need to mention the values are distinct and
non-negative. Suggestion: Copy C11 paragraph 8 exactly and change FE_ to
FE_DEC_ and the function names.

10) Page 22: 11.5: Same issue as comment 4. IBM uses D as a format
specifier already. Perhaps use B32 B64 B128?

11) Page 25: Footnote marker 5) should be superscripted.

12) Page 27: Footnote marker 6) should be superscripted.

Regards,

Rajan Bhakta
z/OS XL C/C++ Compiler Technical Architect
ISO C Standards Representative for Canada
C Compiler Development
Contact: rbhakta at ca.ibm.com, Rajan Bhakta/Toronto/IBM
Telephone: (905) 413-3995