[Cfp-interest] signaling NaN I/O issue?

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at ca.ibm.com
Mon May 9 16:15:24 PDT 2011

Hi Jim,

I agree with the idea that signalling NaNs should not just go away, I was
just having an issue with specifically singling out the stdio functions
for this particular statement. Just the general statement "Functions that
don't signal on signaling
NaN inputs need to return a signaling NaN.
" should suffice. I understand we want to clarify what it means for printf
and printing a sNaN, but my point was not to special case the stdio
functions by pointing them out as something special. i.e. in the case of
printf, it has to return an integer with the value of the number of
characters printed and so it cannot return a sNaN and hence is forced to
signal. I understand the need to say what to print out however and that
would be the only thing to special case as it is actually a special case
due to the functionality of the function, not the signalling aspect.

In the end however I am not strongly objecting to this, I just wanted to
bring out an observation I thought was interesting and worth noting.

Regards,

Rajan Bhakta
z/OS XL C/C++ Compiler Technical Architect
ISO C Standards Representative for Canada
C Compiler Development
Contact: rbhakta at ca.ibm.com, Rajan Bhakta/Toronto/IBM
Telephone: (905) 413-3995