[Cfp-interest] FUNCTIONS - outline updated

David Hough CFP pcfp at oakapple.net
Wed May 19 17:13:56 PDT 2010

> int issignalingf(const float * xp);

I don't think it's a good idea to penalize every other implementation,
including 64-bit x86, for the mistakes of 32-bit x86.
I'd rather issignaling etc all took normal value arguments.

So programmers needing to handle 32-bit x86 will need something like

  int issignalingpf(const float * xp);

where the p indicates pointer to float rather than float and
so we should require that as well.     And iszero, isnormal, isinf, isquiet, etc
all in pointer forms as well.

While issignaling usage might be pretty rare, the other is... cases might not be,
and need to be quiet even for signaling NaNs.

So the question is whether all implementations should support pointer
versions, value versions, or both.